Sunday, July 26, 2015

My Week: July 19 ed.

Ha! I'm a week behind on writing this up. I think that the heat over the past few weeks sucked up most of my motivation.

-In addition to my regular German meetings and tandem meeting, I also hosted a native German speaker for the weekend. She visited the past winter so it was a pleasant reunion even if I was lazy and didn't bother to speak German with her.

-My friend had a game night and invited some of our mutual friends. We spent most of the time speaking German since there were only two non-Germans there. It was great practice and I understood most of what was going on, even as we played the German version of Cranium. Woot woot!

I had a total MacGyver moment before the party: I made homemade caramel corn. Not only did I make the caramel topping myself (which is remarkably easily done with a microwave), I also ended up making homemade microwave popcorn, too! My air popper died on me and I was feeling stubbornly devoted to making caramel corn so I asked Mr. Google and found out it's easy (and much more healthful) to make one's own microwave popcorn: take popcorn kernels, mix a little bit of oil (I used canola) and put it in a paper bag and pop for 2-3 minutes. Of course, don't make the mistake that I made and burn the heck out of the first batch of caramel corn though! That part wasn't so cool, but impressing my friends with the product I made correctly was fun.

-We also had a potluck, where I played Cards Against Humanity for the first time. I like Apples to Apples and CAH is the same idea but beyond wrong, with awful examples. It was hilarious and disconcerting to have to explain some of the concepts to non-English speakers.


No comments:

Post a Comment