Sunday, April 3, 2016

What's Batman's Rindfleisch?

(That moment of Germish was an allusion to "what's your beef with so-and-so?")

My friend invited me to see Batman vs. Superman this week. As the movie started, I experienced a weird moment when I thought, why can't I understand what the characters are saying? It then dawned on me that the movie was in German.

Oh. Hmm. I had expected it to be in English because I thought I had read O.V. (original version) on the listing.

As soon as my brain registered the language, I put on my big girl, German-understanding ears and watched the dang movie.

I didn't understand everything, especially when Batman used his device to disguise/deepen his voice. I already experience difficulty with understanding deep male German voices as it is, but I dealt with it.

At the end of the movie, I did have one big question remaining: why had Batman wanted to fight with Superman? It seems to be a bit part of the movie, y'know. I didn't feel so bad for not understanding because my friends said it wasn't crystal clear either, but my guess was in line with what they said, so all was well.

---

I would, however, like to say that I don't like dubbed movies; I feel that it ruins the artistry of the original version. I watched the English trailer for the Batman movie and it indeed had a very different feeling with the original (though I'm not saying that this movie is particularly artful).

The same goes for things dubbed into English. I mistakenly picked up a dubbed version of Mesrine: Killer Instinct, a film I had initially watched in the original French. Mesrine was a French criminal famous with the press. The original film had that Je ne sais quoi that made for an interesting kino evening. The American dubbed version sounds like a ridiculous Western film and I didn't finish re-watching it. I'll take the subtitled version, thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment