Thursday, April 7, 2016

Oh, Edmund, it's not worth it: Turkish Delight

As a kid, and even as an adult, too, I really enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia. Until a few years ago, I couldn't put my finger on why, but Nancy Pearl solved it for me: I'm a sucker for a good quest book, and the entire series is made of quests.

Since I'm fond of the books, I recently read an article, C.S. Lewis’[s] Greatest Fiction: Convincing American Kids That They Would Like Turkish Delight, which explores some candy that has a larger role in the book than one would normally attribute to candy. I was amused by the article and was happy to learn that I wasn't the only kid confused by Turkish Delight.

I had no idea what it was, but imaged it as something mystical, and amazing, too. After all, Edmund was basically going to sell his soul for it. When I first actually tried Turkish Deligh, I was like, "wuh? Um, so this isn't great? Wuh?" Then my friend brought some excellent, fresh TD straight from Turkey. It was good - but I still wouldn't sell my soul for it. If I want desserts from Turkey, I think I'm just going to stick to baklava; it tastes better and doesn't carry such a high price.

No comments:

Post a Comment