Friday, August 9, 2013

Seen in London: a bit of "multiculturalism"

London is a very international city. It's so international, in fact, that I saw at least a handful of Mexican restaurants when I was there (I always seem to be on a quest for Mexican food since I moved here; go figure). When I lived in the area in 2000, I only knew of three in the entire London area. Of course I ate at all three of them, too!

Anyway, here are some of the things we saw during our trip in July.



Look! It's Georgie Boy, a gift from the US to GB. Not sure if they really wanted a sculpture of him, with him being all about fighting for freedom from GB, but whatevs.

Kinda cute and kitschy restaurant that sells German food like currywurst, sausages, and the like. However, the name is way off. I assume they're trying to say "Herman the German." Well, you don't say "ze" or even "sie" (said like "ze") to say "the." The three "the"s of German are der, die and das. Sure, die rhymes with "ze" but it's not the same. I know it's supposed to be kitschy, but it's just kind of annoying. Oh, and to say he's German, he would be a "Deutscher." I'm a little shaky on if one would use "das" since "Deustcher" is a neuter word, but I think that's what would be used.

O Canada: the Canadian consulate in London! When I go on trips, I find myself  taking pictures of things because they remind me of family and friends. This picture goes out to my Aunt R, because her good friend is Canadian.

And this? I took a picture of it because it's just super creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment