Thursday, May 23, 2013

Eurovision!

Last weekend, I was invited to my very first Eurovision party! Eurovision is a televised contest, established in 1956 among European countries (and some others) for  a song performed and voted on by the other countries in the competition. You can't vote for your own country. I've heard about it before, in the blog ether, but didn't really pay much mind to it before I moved to Europe. I have to admit that I never had any interest in American Idol so Eurovision didn't pique my interest when I was living in the States.

However, I did enjoy watching it in the nice party atmosphere at my friend's party. What was really cool was that there were people from all over at the party: Switzerland, France, Sweden, Germany, the UK, and even another American.

It was interesting to see the choices of the songs. A lot of them were pop songs and not too deep. Some songs were sung in the language of the country it was from. My favorite entry was the one from Greece called "Alcohol is free." That was the chorus and the rest was all Greek to me ;) It also included Greek men prancing around the stage in kilts. I'm not sure what that was all about but it was fun to watch and I do love me some prancing.

The performance I liked the most was from Romania, just because it was so freakin' weird. Cezar, the singer, was dressed up kind of like Dracula and he stood on this weird pedestal with fabric that looked like a volcano. Then, pseudo-naked people jumped out and started dancing. I didn't enjoy that part, but maybe it's because I've had too much of German saunas lately. I didn't really like the song, sung in an operatic falsetto, but I did like the dubstep interlude.

Denmark ended up winning with Only Teardrops. Since that country won, they will host next year's Eurovision. I hope the singer will be able to afford some shoes now that she has won (she was performing barefoot; I really dislike bare feet!).

No comments:

Post a Comment